June 2017 Featured RPG
December 2017 Featured RPG

register a character account first
All avatars must be 250x400
1.16 - Love is in the Air begins!

Pages: (2) 1 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Add Reply
New Poll

Newbie Guidance

Would you like to see a group of individuals specifically for assisting and threading with new players?
Yes, and I would volunteer. [ 6 ]  [46.15%]
Yes, but I'm not doing it. [ 2 ]  [15.38%]
No. [ 3 ]  [23.08%]
I have a related suggestion and will post about it. [ 2 ]  [15.38%]
Total Votes: 13
Guests cannot vote 
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 04:22 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin
Uneasy lies the head that wears a crown.
Awards: 48

— Loremaster —

Basically this would be a group of volunteers that go out of their way to write with people new to the site and possibly help them create their characters if they need assistance.

Why?
Sometimes starting on a new forum is scary! And it can be intimidating to not know where to start writing. These individuals would make their characters (not all, maybe do a separate shipper? Problem for the future!) Available to thread with newcomers in order to get the ball rolling and get them involved asap.

It would be entirely voluntary on both sides, of course.
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Bro
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:01 PM
bro is Online.
22 years old
Nope
Single
Software Engineer
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk. Music loud and women warm, I've been kicked around since I was born.
Awards: 16

— Member —

I like the idea of a "Welcome to the Cult" Care Package/Thread with good resources easily in one place for newbies. Like a link to the wanteds, adoptables, open thread list, shippers (for people that volunteer to be assaulted by newbies), rules, maybe a dictionary of filters/common cbox lingo, that kind of thing. Just one neat tidy spot for newbs to go and learn about the culture and/or get character ideas.

(Edit for explanation: I like this idea more than just a dedicated set of plotting volunteers kind of because I think plotting should be the burden of the one wanting to make words, and not some kind of job of the people already here? If you want to come in diving head first into plots with less work, you should take a wanted. And if you're having trouble coming up with characters that aren't tied to others, that's what the adoptables are for.)
PMEmailAIM
^
Rose
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:11 PM
Rose is Offline.
33 years old
Heterosexual
Married
Giant Wrangler
Even a Rose has Thorns
Awards: 9

— OOC Account —

QUOTE (Bro @ Feb 12 2018, 04:01 PM)
I like the idea of a "Welcome to the Cult" Care Package/Thread with good resources easily in one place for newbies. Like a link to the wanteds, adoptables, open thread list, shippers (for people that volunteer to be assaulted by newbies), rules, maybe a dictionary of filters/common cbox lingo,  that kind of thing. Just one neat tidy spot for newbs to go and learn about the culture and/or get character ideas.
THIS. Could make it a template that said group posted to newbies too if you wanted a more personal touch.
PMAIM
^
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:20 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin

— Loremaster —

So kind of a first character walk through?
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Bro
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:21 PM
bro is Online.
22 years old
Nope
Single
Software Engineer
Well, you can tell by the way I use my walk, I'm a woman's man: no time to talk. Music loud and women warm, I've been kicked around since I was born.

— Member —

Exactly like a first character walkthrough. Just one good place for newbs to go and learn about the board. Everything is kind of scattered right now.
PMEmailAIM
^
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:39 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin

— Loremaster —

Okay, next question. What all would we want in it? I feel the FAQ sums up things that don't change (cbox filters are fluid and generally self explanatory.)
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:40 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin

— Loremaster —

To clarify (since mobile won't let me edit,) I've looked into doing this before but it came across as redundant as all the links are already in sections and it turned into a ridiculously long mess.
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Bro
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 05:57 PM
bro is Online.
22 years old
Nope
Single
Software Engineer

— Member —

I think it is kind of redundant, but i think so would a group of people dedicated to plotting when the shippers are right there.

So I would have links to:

Wanteds
Adoptables
Shippers
Open Thread Listing
Rules
FAQ
Maybe Etiquette

I think this works, because I'll admit while everything is in nice sections, sometimes finding things like the open thread list might get cumbersome for a newb because they aren't familiar with the layout yet.

Also, a comment from someone I've been trying to get to join the board for about a year:

" I think a weird committee forcing themselves to play with me would be more intimidating and super embarrassing. I wouldn't know whether they were plotting with me because they want to or because of weird charity. if a board member wants to make it their mission to play with newbies then they certainly can, but there's no reason to make it a "thing". I personally as a newbie wouldn't be comfortable with it and find it super weird. then again, I tend to be more worried about starting things "in the middle" and that I've missed too much plot, and worry that all the good ideas and face claims have been taken already, not because i'm intimidated by the legion of writers. "
PMEmailAIM
^
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 06:09 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin

— Loremaster —

Apparently it's a thing so I figured I'd toss it into the opinion heap as I usually do. There's sites that have assigned "mentors" and everything.
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Bro
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 06:14 PM
bro is Online.
22 years old
Nope
Single
Software Engineer

— Member —

Of course! I was just tossing more opinions into the opinion heap! I love opinion heaps.
PMEmailAIM
^
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 06:17 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin

— Loremaster —

As do I! Which is why I do them so often!
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Dom
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 07:00 PM
Dom is Offline.
34 years old
Pansexual
Dating
Dishwasher / Author
Why we can't have nice things >.<
Awards: 13

— ------- —

QUOTE (Bro @ Feb 12 2018, 04:57 PM)

I think this works, because I'll admit while everything is in nice sections, sometimes finding things like the open thread list might get cumbersome for a newb because they aren't familiar with the layout yet.

This, pretty much. There's been a time or two I play the "where the fuck is this, where the fuck is that" game on this board XD.

Also, in argument to the 'all the good FCs are taken' comment - any board that's been around more than a year or so, is gonna have that issue, so you run into the 'do I really desperately need this particular FC to use on a board that's kind of unproven on whether or not it's gonna stick around, or can I potentially salvage using another face for a board that's proven it's gonna be around a while' ordeal.

I've run into a couple 'shit, my favorite FC is taken' (especially for people like Jon K., there's at least one incarnation of him everywhere, I just got lucky and he was free here and on one of my other sites XD), but I ended up finding someone I liked a lot better at some other point.

But, not to get OT - I agree with what Bro said. It's easier when it's people who specifically "I want threads with all the new people, welcome to the board!" than a committee of sorts where you're not sure if they're doing it because it's part of their job, or if they're actually enjoying the threads >.>.
PMEmailAIM
^
Rune
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 07:54 PM
Rune is Offline.
Infinite years old
N/A
Mated
Admin

— Loremaster —

Whaaaaaat would you expect in this aforementioned etiquette thread?
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
Bro
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 08:08 PM
bro is Online.
22 years old
Nope
Single
Software Engineer

— Member —

Since I was the one who mentioned it:

1. Reiterating the "No Pestering for Posts" rule

2. How to Tag, including not quoting previous posts to copy the tag

3. Why templates with tiny text is probably a Bad Idea™

4. Someone tagging someone else before you even if your post is older doesn't mean they hate you

5. Things are sometimes SLOW to progress (a thread taking more than a year to complete even if it's just a first meeting), and other times they are FAST (character gets made, is immediately promised to someone, now they're getting engaged all in a month). Neither of these is worse than the other.

6. If you're going to be gone at length, keep your absence updated, at least, and don't forget the Activity Check.

7. We aren't psychic and can't say if your month-old absence of vagueness still applies to the AC, and if you don't respond to the AC after being tagged in it that's your fault, not the mods'.

And any other basic site things others might come up with. biggrin.gif

OH YES! More:

. How to use the Shop
. What is a 'slot' and what does it mean?
. Words/Werds = posts, Muse= desire to make words
. Awards?

PMEmailAIM
^
Dee
 Posted on Feb 12 2018, 08:38 PM
Dee is Offline.
Old years old
It's Complicated
Annoying People
Slightly Off My Rocker...
Awards: 7

— -4- —

QUOTE (Bro @ Feb 12 2018, 05:21 PM)
Exactly like a first character walkthrough. Just one good place for newbs to go and learn about the board. Everything is kind of scattered right now.

This idea is the best. smile.gif I still wander around occasionally going..."I JUST SAW THAT DAMN THREAD!" and it was never seen again. xD WE know where most everything is at this point, but it is a little frustrating, to say the least when you're new, no one is around, and you can't find that one dang blessed thing that YOU must have right now!
PMEmailGTalkAIM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Pages: (2) 1 2 
Add Reply
New Poll

Skin made by Tana @ Cosmo, Shine, and ATF with heavy edits credited to Ara.
  • Chatbox
  • Updates
  • Future
The most recent updates are listed here. Further updates with more detail can be found in our News And Updates forum.

1.16.18 Love is in the Air begins!

1.6.18 Activity check over!

1.4.18 Award system changed!

12.17 Post Push and Chaos end! Haunted Hotel will continue until the end of the year!

11.17 Post Push and Chaos begin!

In The Works!
In Character:
Spring Event: Love is in the Air!
Summer Event: Masquerade
Fall Event: Being Written
Winter Event: ???

Out of Character:
Spring Event: Anniversary Shenanigans
Summer Event: ???
Fall Event: Post Push
Winter Event: Prob. Nothing.